Saturday, December 27, 2008

Pregnancy - anything but uneventful

I am confused.  When did we start referring to pregnancy as 'uneventful' and mean this as a positive medical diagnosis?  Instead of googling my heart away on this steely winter morn, I will exercise my own subjective logic to answer this question. 

Actually, I will rewrite the question and provide my own answer.

When a practitioner reports to expectant parents that "everything looks good" and "you seem to be having an uneventful pregnancy", what they are really saying is that you are normal and your body is doing everything it knows to do.  Instead of relishing the fantastic mystery of this fact, we refer to the woman and her experience as 'uneventful'.  Even 'normal' would be better if you ask me.

Although this may seem like an inconsequential detail in the arduous task of reproduction, I believe that the language we use to describe pregnancy and birth can reflect our innermost feelings towards these events.  Are we placid and 'uneventful'? or are we 'normal' and trusting?

Obviously, there are endless variations of belief systems relating to pregnancy and birth.  It would be futile to describe the complexities here.  Nevertheless, I am obliged to support a language of deep honor and respect for our mothers and fathers who are already overwhelmed by the experience.  A sacred tone which exemplifies the power of their process and their abilities not only to birth in their own rite, but to love, guide, protect, lead, and sanctify tiny new, precious lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment