Saturday, January 17, 2009

prenatal vitamins & The complexity of choice

too many holistic fish in the sea for me when i embark on the great challenge of choosing that all-important folic acid provider... the prenatal vitamin.

as much of a supplement gal as i am, i am not a daily vitamin girl. For one simple reason, big heavy vitamins make me want to barf.  and sometimes, i do.

So when i began my quest to find the perfect anti-nausea, fairly-priced, high-quality prenatal vitamin, this is what i found. I've included links to the best web-prices ive found below in links i love. 

Coming in top on my sister's list, the impressive one-a-day Rainbow Light, a whole-foodsy recommendation from her Berkeley-based herbalist. 

Recommended by a pregger friend in Atlanta, who swears by the diluted nature of Pure Essence prenatals in that they provide a balanced dose of nutrients (including plenty of folic acid) without causing your stomach to turn. the only trick is... you have to take 6 a day! 

Then there is the brand of prenatals endorsed by Gwenyth Paltrow herself, according to the attendant at my local natural apothecary. The New Chapter brand produces their supplements in a unique way by allowing probiotics to pre-digest the components before you pop them in your fertile mouth. kinda mama-baby-bird-like. 

In addition to a prenatal, an aspiring mama-to-be might want to consider the following health supplements:
-a complete Omega (fish or plant sources) or 2 teaspoons of flax oil daily (i like to hide mine in a smoothie). any pregnant woman who can handle cod liver oil down the hatch has my vote for Iron-clad stomach of the century. Nordic Naturals produce a lemon-flavored Omega that my sister swears never 'backed-up' the pipes on her throughout her last pregnancy; and her belly was big! for more on omegas, see August healing arts centre link. Good fats are good for placental growth and hormonal balance.
-digestive enzymes. i cant really say enough about these little intestinal helpers. great for daily use, perfect for travel and diet changes, awesome for absorbing life in general. see Sept. healing arts centre entry. 
-the Peruvian wonder root Maca. I use the Healthforce Superfood brand, its a powdered form of maca root that provides a complexity of probiotics, enzymes, and herbal synergists. it was the wintery appeal of vanilla and ginger that sold me. ive never tried the carob-peppermint mixture, that could be interesting. I combine rice/soy milk, frozen bananas, a splash of maple syrup, 1-2 teaspoons flax oil, and 1-2 teaspoons maca powder or a yummy smoothie treat. i also highly recommend Healthforce's vitamin C powder and SuperGreen formula.
-lastly, bee products. Royal Jelly is the sole sustenance of the commuity's Queen Bee and is  renown for enabling her amazng sixe, reproductive ability, and longevity. ok. im sold. Interestingly, Montana's Big Sky country seems to be a hotspot for the cottage bee product industry. my brief stint living in Montana made me want to buzz around in the wide open blueness. we could all benefit from the hardiness of those winter-resistant honeybees. Of course, its very beneficial to consume bee products endemic to your locale. make sure they are high quality and tested for heavy-metal and pesticide exposure. Huckleberry-honey-royal jelly spread on fresh-baked whole wheat toast. yum. 

ok, information overload. please let me know what discoveries you've made. Cause you dont have to be a movie star to be a Queen Bee.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lu,
    I am glad you mentioned this, because I am also on the quest... My doctor gave me a folic acid plus iron vitamin (I'm low on that too). Her parting words were "it may, well, turn your poop black". Whaa? After three weeks of total crazy black Sheisse and a blockage of all normal bowel movements , well, lets just say I am on the lookout for something a little less intrusive.. So, thanks for the links! I never had even considered this would be an issue. Love reading your inspiring and thoughful posts on the subject. Keep them up! hugs, sticks.

    ReplyDelete